Summer is Here
The Beach is Calling
The right beach essentials will allow for a full day in the sun (and shade). Who want’s to be at the beach all day? You do… if you do it right!
Think quick, what’s invigorating, releases stress, provides you with a full day’s dose of vitamin D in just 10 minutes, fight off infections, effortless exercise, promotes gorgeous, healthy skin, lighten your heavy breath, and connect with your inner spirit?
You got it — The Beach! I didn’t always know this but, going to the beach is actually good for you and so, you should pack up your beach essentials, like, NOW and head out.
What are the ultimate beach essentials? Read on to find out about the top rated beach products on the market as well as some of the most innovative DIYs from around the web.
You know summer is here when the temperatures reach 89 degrees by 10am. And there is no better way to spend the day than to soak up the sun, play in the sand, and splash around in the salty ocean water. But all that sun, sand, and salt need a little advance preparation to make your trip to the beach a flawless one. Without further adieu, Here are the # things you will want along for the beach trip.
The Essentials of Beach Essentials
First thing’s first and sunscreen is that first essential for the beach bag. If you’re chewy like me and you don’t want to make it in your kitchen but want something natural and nontoxic these are the top picks of chewy moms and thousands of 4.5+ star reviewers on Amazon. I personally love #1, #9, and #10.
- Kiss My Face Body & Face Mineral SPF 30 Natural Organic Sunscreen
- Coola Suncare SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray
- Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, 6oz Tube (Pack of 2)
- Maple Holistics Natural Sunscreen with SPF 30 – Block Sun UVA + UBV Broad Spectrum – Sweat & Water Resistant – Safe for Sensitive Skin
- COOLA Organic Suncare, 4 Piece Organic Suncare Travel Set, TSA Approved Sizes
- Andre Lorent Daily Rehydrating Sunscreen: SPF 30+ – Contains Vitamins A, B, C & E & Seaweed Extract – Rehydrating Skin Protection – Paraben & Fragrance-Free
- Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+, 3oz
- Loving Naturals Clear Defense SPF 35+ Sunscreen 100% Natural New Improved Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection Zinc Oxide Quick Drying
- ArtNaturals® SPF 30 Broad Spectrum Sunscreen 6 oz – Made in the USA with the best Natural & Organic Ingredients – For all Skin Types
- Zen Zinc 2-PACK Premium Organic Sunscreen Stick SPF 30+ Broad Spectrum Non-Nano Zinc Oxide
- Beauty by Earth Facial Sunscreen SPF 20 – Organic & Natural Ingredients, Physical and Mineral Sun Block – Matte & Moisturizer for All Skin Types
Beach Essentials The Best Sun Protection & Shade Providers
I realize that I am the odd mom out being that on a hot scolding day I like to kick back in the shade of an enormous umbrella or tent. My lizard friends tend to poke fun of me for my low tolerance for direct sun rays and my tendency to overheat in such conditions in 10 seconds flat.
If that sounds like you, you’ll surely appreciate the wonderful things available just for us. Trust me, any one of these will make your day at the beach truly enjoyable.
The Beach ShadeBenefits
I have the beach umbrella #2 (Sport Brella X-Large Umbrella) and I am in love with it. Here’s why:
- Produces lots of shade
- Provides privacy for mom time or baby naps, boobing, and diaper changes
- Creates a nice airflow
- Lightweight so it’s a cinch to bring along to the beach
- Believe it or not, it doesn’t blow away, even on a windy day
- Opens and closes within seconds!!!
Best Rated Beach Tents
All the tents you’ll find below are highly rated and have been tried and tested by thousands of reviewers. Note that Pacific Breeze tents (#2, #3) tend to lead in the best of the best beach tents available all the while remaining incredibly affordable. If I hadn’t gotten my umbrella, one of the two of these tents would’ve been purchased for sure!!!
- EasyGoProducts Umbrella Shape Tent – easy pull string operation
- Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent [BEST & AFFORDABLE]
- Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent Deluxe XL – fits 3-4 people!!!
- Lightspeed Outdoors Quick Cabana Beach Tent Sun Shelter – cabana style w/ extendable floor
- Outdoor Automatic Pop-up Instant Portable Cabana Beach Tent – lightweight w/ extendable floor
Best Rated Beach Umbrellas
The biggest difference between umbrellas and beach tents is the floor. Tents have one while umbrellas do not. The idea of a floor, for a sand hater like me, should be enticing. Though when I thought about the idea of having to get the sand out of the tent it made it seem impossible. So, I opted in for the umbrella and an amazing beach throw (later in the post) which works out amazingly!
- Kelsyus Kid’s Canopy Chair – folds into a convenient carrying bag that your kid can carry
- Sports Brella X-Large Umbrella – my favorite of all time!
- Frankford Umbrella 7.5 ft. – Commercial Grade Beach Umbrella
- UV Umbrella For Women,LifeVC® Folding Sun Umbrella
- Sport Brella Umbrella – Amazing value
- UV-Blocker Fashion UV Umbrella
- #1 Recommended Best Beach Umbrella Holder Clip – 15x More Steady & Easy to Use than Sand Anchors
Beach Essentials: The Most Comfortable Beach Spread
There are lots of options on what you use as a spread to lay out on a beach. Some people buy the top of the line stuff while other folks stick to a more creative hack path. Personally, I’ve used both and whichever way you decide to go, they are all winners. I’ve compiled a quick list of the best beach spreads from DIY to the top of the line products.
Top Beach Blanket Sellers
The no mess, no fuss beach blanket is waiting for you on Amazon. This list of throws is awesomely rated and comes with lots of bells and whistles. Or as many as a beach blanket can come with, ha!
- Vanwalk Compact Outdoor Beach Blanket & Wash Basin Bucket, Large Measures 70″x56″ Waterproof & Sand Escape, Relax in the Park / Garden / Home. Handy Mat with Straps, Portable & Durable, Easy to Fold & Clean
- Gresahom Pocket Blanket, Picnic / Beach Blanket with Sand Pocket & 4 Stakes, Gresahom Outdoor Blanket Made from Lightweight Waterproof & Sandproof Material for Camping, Beach, Hiking with Carabiner and Pouch
- Songmics Outdoor Portable Picnic Blanket Sand Proof Beach Mat Blanket W’Adjustable Strap 76″ x 56″ Extra Large
- SwimZip® Round Beach Towel Ocean Blues – 100% velour cotton with a unique circular design that makes it easy to adjust in the sun. Perfect for the sun worshiper.
- Spencer and Webb Picnic Blanket Waterproof bottom Soft top Polar Fleece extra large outdoor travel water sand resistant camping Stripe fold perfect for grass, tablecloth or handy sandproof All-purpose, Large 70×80″
- iLounge Inflatable Outdoor Lounge Chair, Beach Chair – Waterproof, Portable Sleeper Couch with Mini Canopy, Waterproof Pouch For iPads & Tablets, Bottle Opener & Mesh Side Bag
- TSC Market Place Beach Blanket / Picnic Blanket / Outdoor Blanket – Extra Large 7’x9′ Lightweight and Compact with Attached Sand Anchors and Stake Down Loops
- Weimy Sand Repellant Lightweight Compact Beach Blanket / Large, Quick Drying, Sand and Water Resistant / With Anchor Pockets, 4 Plastic Stakes, and Carry Bag
- JJ Cole Outdoor Blanket,Gray/Green, 5′ x 5′
- KAHUNA ‘Next Generation’ Parachute Beach Blanket – Extra Large 8 x 8 Feet – The Biggest Anti-Sand Beach Sheet / Picnic Blanket Available – Portable, Lightweight, Quick-drying, With 12 Sand Pockets.
Top DIY Beach Spreads
If you’re feeling crafty, here are some of the cutest DIY beach blankets you can make at home on the cheap! All of these ladies provide wonderfully easy to follow instructions with some of the most innovative yet easy do-it-yourself beach blanket projects. Check out any of the tutorials by clicking the images below. The only hard part will be choosing one to add to your summer beach essentials.
Of course, there are many more creative girls (and guys) out there with wonderful ideas for a DIY beach blanket or towel but the ones that I’ve included in the list are just the ones I came across and absolutely loved!
Note: I have not yet mastered the DIY part of the blanket but I have a sewing machine waiting for me to find the time to learn how to operate the darned thing. One day sewing machine. One day.
Beach Essentials: The Most Chill Chairs
If you’re like me and like to keep sand off of you the best way you know how the beach chair is your answer! Or maybe you just like to sit upright. Maybe you like to switch from laying out in the sun to sitting down and reading a book. Whatever the reason for your beach chair need, the beach chair is an amazing addition to your beach essentials that you didn’t even know about.
I love my chair (#3) so much that it made me kind of like the beach. Kind of. Here are the top sellers and most recommended beach chairs the internet has to offer!!!
Note: The best beach chairs are light and are easy to carry (built-in backpack).
- Beach & Camping Outdoor Chair Backpack 4 Position Lightweight Aluminum by JGR Copa
- Tommy Bahama 2 Backpack Beach Chairs+ 1 Medium Tote Bag
- Alps Mountaineering Rendezvous Chair
- Rio Brands 5 Position Classic Lay Flat Beach Chair
Beach Essential: Extreme cooler
The right beach items will allow you to make a day of it. A great cooler is one of those items is a great cooler that will keep your food and drinks cold and fresh all day. A drainage nozzle makes cleanup a breeze. It should also include wheels for easy transport as well as provide a table surface making snacking and eating a snap!
Oh, and check out #2… how cool is that?! Though #6 is the boss of them all according to testimony.
- Travelers Club 40 Can Rolling Cooler is great for those beach trips with the girls 😉
- Best Choice Products Multi-Function Outdoor Rolling Cooler W/ Table And Chairs for little ones. The product info doesn’t state that this is for kids but the capacity of seating is 150 as per manufacturer. It’s a perfect little set up for a couple of tots.
- Coleman 100 Quart Xtreme 5 (Wheeled Cooler) is perfect for a large family or group of people allowing for all the food and drinks you could possibly pack (kind of). 100 quarts will keep you at the beach all day long.
- Igloo Island Breeze Cooler With Wheels, Telescoping Handle, Blue & White, 28-Qts is a smaller cooler, perfect for the Mom & Me trip to the beach.
- Igloo Maxcold Ultra Roller Cooler 40Q, 50Q, 60Q
- Rubbermaid Ice Chest / Cooler, Blue, 60-quart Wheeled is the most reviewed cooler given highest testimony regarding its size, ease of transport, and how well it keeps it’s cool. Folks are really happy with this one!
Beach Essential: Beach cart
If you don’t know about beach carts I am about to make your beach trips a whole lot more enjoyable. The beach card lets you carry everything you need for the beach (in other words your beach essentials) with ease. No more carrying bags and bags that are cutting into your shoulders and making your back ache. Simply load the beach cart up, grab your rolling cooler and you are ready to go!
The following beach cards have been the tops sellers for an extended period of time allowing for the most accurate (and very high) reviews of the products to follow. Personally, I have #4 and I couldn’t be happier! It’s a little heavy but that lets me know that it’s durable and will last for a few seasons at least.
Whichever you choose, buy with confidence as the reviews and sales speak for themselves.
- Tommy Bahama All Terrain Beach Cart. Some folks aren’t a fan of the stand-up cart but there are plenty of those that absolutely adore it. One of the reviewers boasted, “FANTASTIC! Carried a small cooler, a beach bag loaded with a large beach blanket and towels, a large bag of sand toys the kids use for sand castles, 2 beach chairs, my swim fins and bodyboard, and my wetsuit. And there was room to spare!!!”
- Mac Sports Folding Beach Wagon is a wonderfully compact and foldable wagon that will help you lug all your beach essentials to the sunny spot on the sand.
- Rio Brands WWWC5-4670 Wonder Wheeler Plus is versatile and useful for a beach trip. This one seems to hold up really well over years of wear and tear as confirmed by avid users.
- Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon is the beach wagon that I personally love. This is uber sturdy and up for any job. It works it’s way through the terrain very well and makes the beach trip a little easier. I love it, my kid loves to ride in it at the park, and my groceries love it because I am not loosing them all over the driveway anymore. Instead, I pack them into the beach cart and DONE!
- EasyGoWagon Folding Collapsible Utility Wagon Fits in Trunk of Standard Car. It’s very sturdy making it worth the purchase years later. And, as some folks claim, a fun “choo-choo” ride for the kiddos.
Beach Essentials: Miscellaneous
Now that we have the main stuff out of the way, here are the last few items that should be in everyone’s beach essentials list.
- KOVOT Waterproof Playing Cards in Plastic Case
- Seaview 180° Snorkel Mask for Adults and Youth. Full Face Free Breathing Design. Best Snorkeling Experience with Anti-fog and Anti-leak Technology.
- Attmu Beach Towel Clips (12 Pack)
- Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor
- ONIMA 10 Inch Ball Pump
- WODISON Oversized Summer Beach Mesh Tote Bag
- Claim-it Stake For Beach Towels
- Umbrella Hook for Towels/Camera/Bags
- Regalo My Cot Portable Toddler Bed
- Trekology Camping Table with Aluminum Table Top – Portable Folding Table in a Bag for Beach, Picnic, Camping, Patio, Fishing, Indoor
- Waterproof Case, 2 Pack Universal Snowproof, DirtProof Case Bag Perfect for Skiing, Shower, Fishing, Swimming, Protect iPhone 6S Plus, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Up To 6 Inch
- BPS – ULTRALITE Bodyboard
- AquaFuse Waterproof Pouch with Waist Strap. Perfect for the Beach. Fits an iPad Mini. Keep Your Phone, Passport, & Wallet Safe
- MARVIE HDV-801 Underwater Shockproof Digital 24MP Camera & Camcorder Double Screens Dual Full-Color LCD Displays FHD 1080p Free-casing Self Timer Photo Video Recorder
- Flip Flop Beach Stakes Set of 4
- Sunnydaze Heavy Duty Multi Colored Outdoor Drink Holder Set of 6
- VicTsing Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless Waterproof 5W Shower Speaker with Mic and Removable Suction Cup
Additional Beach Essentials For the Kiddo
- Diapers and diaper cream – for obvious reasons, mom.
- Hooded towel or robe
- Water shoes
- Change of clothes – including something warm to layer in case it gets windy or cold.
- Extra shoes and socks – because kids seem to always need an extra pair.
- Kiddie pool – a GREAT alternative to having your little ones in the ocean… just fill it up right next to your layout and let them go to town while you keep a close eye.
- Sandcastle Kit – keeps the little builders busy
- Digging Power Toys – make it so much fun to dig. Don’t ask me why kids and dogs like to dig… but they do and this is perfect.
Additional Beach Essentials For the Mama
- A visor or a big floppy hat – because you’re mom. Ha! Kidding this is one of those things that you either love or hate. I happen to love it but refuse to give in and actually buy one. For the time being, I am using my grandmas… But this “mom thing” is totally helpful at the beach on a super sunny day. I also love my super floppy hat that got from Target as a random purchase. So happy I got it. It kind of looks like this for around the same price and the girls who purchased it seem to be quite happy too.
- Water shoes – having these babies gives me the freedom to step with confidence in the murky Jersey waters (just kidding, but not really). Me and my girl both got the Speedo Water Shoes at Target in teal.
- Books and e-readers – as if you’ll have a chance to read. But in case you brought along a helping hand for the kiddos (friend, grandma, hubby) you’ll want to indulge in some beach reading. Beach reading is some of the best reading. So don’t forget your Kindles and Nooks. I bring old fashioned, library borrowed reads when I can.
- Change of clothes and layers – because the beach isn’t the neatest place at times and can get chilly at night.
- Baby wipes and powder – baby wipes always come in handy and baby powder is the magic behind leaving all the sand at the beach. Simply sprinkle some on the skin with sand stuck on it and rub it all away.
- Money & key holders- empty pill bottles are great places to hide keys, money, and other valuables of small size. Personally, I roll all my stuff into a diaper. No one messes with a *dirty* diaper 🙂
- Solar charger – this thing is AWESOME!!! It charges your phone using the sun! Enough said.
- Fan or water mister- this fan is an amazing addition to the tent to keep you cool!
- Ziplock bags are awesome for just about anything… storing your wet suits in, keeping your money and license dry or slipping in your phone for a DIY waterproof (kind of) case. The touchscreen still works and everything.
You’ve Reached the End of the Post
But the List Goes On
I can’t wait to hear from your about what you thought of this post. Have you used any of the above products? Do you have others you want to rave or warn about? Let’s keep the conversation going, dear friends.
Until next time,
Together, they explore the topics of gentle parenting, healthy eating, grateful thinking, yoga bending, nifty hacking, green living, soul searching, and mindfulness practicing.
She has lived many lives. She has seen great beauty and utter darkness. It makes her whole. She is strong and with your presence, support, and love right here, right now ever stronger!!!
Read more about her by visiting the Meet the Bee page or email her right now!
We hope you enjoy the adventures of Chewy & Bossy!